Jury Awards Massive Settlement To Owner of Slain Hunting Dog

It seems like every hunting season hunting dogs are killed by people. It seems like some people will never learn that you can not kill other peoples dogs no matter how mad they make you. Unless you, your family, or your property are directly threatened by them you can not take matters into your own hands.

Here is probably the most egregious incident of a hound hunter coming in contact with an irate and irrational landowner.

According to SEARK Today, the incident happened back in 2012 during a raccoon hunt, that resulted in an irate landowner executing a dog while the owner held on to his leash. Here is how the lay out the story.

Newell Gill and three hunting companions, Mackie Edmonds, Lee Edward McGriff, and Darrel McGee, all of Star City, were coon hunting in late 2012 on the North Branch of White River National Refuge in Monroe County when their dogs crossed over onto private property and treed a raccoon.

The dogs had trailed and treed raccoons that were attracted to corn dispensed by deer corn feeders on the landowner’s property, according to Gill’s attorney, Charles Sidney Gibson of Dermott.

Gibson said coon dogs cannot be called off once they tree; they have to be pulled off by hand and leashed.

Though there were posted signs on the property, there was no phone number to call for permission to retrieve the dogs. “The hunters rightfully put away their guns and went to retrieve the dogs,” Gibson said.

When they did so, they encountered an irate man armed with a rifle.

The man, Frank Newby of Holly Grove, threatened to shoot the dogs and the hunters if they attempted to retrieve the dogs.

Over Newby’s objections, Gill retrieved his dog, a 4-year-old treeing walker named Buck, and leashed him.

Newby then ordered Gill to back away from the dog so he could shoot him. Gill refused and the man shot the leashed dog.

“It was a horrible experience for Newel Gill to helplessly watch his leashed dog’s execution then thrash around his feet in agony,” Gibson said. “Gill has nightmares yet about that night.”

It only took the jury 40 min to come to a unanimous decision. They agreed that Newby have to would pay  $5,000 for personal injury; $25,000 for the tort of outrage; $5,000 for destruction of personal property and $100,000 punitive damages.

This is on top of the criminal sentence. Newby was convicted of a misdemeanor, fined, and sentenced to six months in jail.

Buck, was a Treeing Walker Coonhound. It was valued at $10,000. Chuck Gibson said the plaintiffs had said that Newby also wanted the other dog released from its kennel so it could be shot, too.