Imagine going on a trip to see family over the holidays and coming back and seeing the home you just purchased absolutely destroyed by a squirrel.
That is exactly what happened to a Georgia family. According to Fox 10, a week after a family purchased their first home, they left for a week to visit family for the holidays. While gone, a squirrel fell down the chimney! The flue was left open by the previous owners and the Drees family hadn’t yet noticed.
Over the course of a week, the squirrel wreaked havoc. He scratched floors and chewed baseboards as well as window and door frames. He even managed to turn on the faucet that ran for at least 3 days. Eventually, the squirrel burrowed itself in the couple’s new sofa, where it built a nest.
The squirrel was finally apprehended by animal control when the family returned.
To make matters worse none of the damage will be covered by insurance. As with most home insurance rodent damage is not covered. so the family will have to pay for damages themselves.
The insurance company issued the following statement.
When Mercury Insurance received the claim on January 1st (last Wednesday), we sent an adjuster to the property and learned that — in fact — a squirrel had found its way into their home. This was confirmed by the “critter catcher” company that removed the squirrel. Unfortunately, damage done to a property by birds, vermin, rodents and insects is not covered. This is explicitly stated in the contract and all insurance companies we know of have similar exclusions. That said, Mercury Insurance is sensitive to the situation and has offered to pay for safe housing (up to two weeks) while their home is professionally cleaned.
Just to clean and sanitize the house it cost the family over $2,000. They have not even begun to calculate the other repairs that need to be done.